Friday , May 24 2019
Home / africa / The State Security Minister dismissed Gibson as special adviser

The State Security Minister dismissed Gibson as special adviser



Former Spy Chief Gibson Nju was dismissed from the post of Special Advisor to State Security Minister Dipu Letsatsi-Dube.

A senior government source told News24 that the minister had removed his adviser two weeks ago, allegedly due to alleged irregularities associated with traveling to Europe, but the same source explained that Letsatsi-Duba became all suspicious of her political commitment.

Nation told News24 on Friday: "I will not deny it, but I will not comment further."

Nje, former intelligence officer of the State Security Agency (SSA), became an adviser to Letsatsi-Dubi in February 2018.

His role was generally considered part of the effort to purge the intelligence agency, although this interfering irritated some of his enemies – some who are still employed in the SSA.

The High Level Reform Commission appointed by President Cyril Ramaphos to investigate the alleged irregularities in the SSA recommended rapid changes in intelligence structures earlier this year. In this report, the panel noted that the intelligence agency was used in political battles and pointed to cases of allegedly financial mismanagement and even criminality. The report was released to the public in March.

READ: Spy Wars: The report reveals how Zumin man in SSA helped to build a parallel network

During his address to the country in February this year, Ramaphos announced that it would break SSA into its two original agencies – foreign and domestic – and re-establish the National Security Council. That was based on the SSA report, he said.

It was considered part of these efforts.

On Friday, former spy chief Arthur Fraser responded to a high-level report on the panel, taking away much of what the panel found. In that controversy, Fraser also said that Nina began "giving operational instructions to SSA officials" and said he provided "support" to the high-level panel.

He, along with two other intelligent leaders, Moe Shaik and Jeff Macetuk, was removed in 2011 by former Minister Siyabong Cwele after expressing concern over the Gupta family.

READ: Mr. President, you lied – Arthur Fraser

She was also formerly president of Bosas, the management and protection company in Krugersdorp, which has been exposed for bribes for bidding for nearly two decades. Bosasa also has strong ties with the ruling ANC party, and News24 has earlier discovered that the company has donated millions to ANC election campaigns.

The spokesperson of Letsatsi-Dube was not immediately available. This story will be updated when the answers are announced.

* Do you have advice for our investigative journalists? Send email to tips@24.com


Source link