Its independence and hygiene makes many people adopt them. However, the science study puts it in the center of the scene the danger of cats Like pets: most carry a parasite that can cause schizophrenia in humans.
It's about it Toxoplasma gondii, to it is spreading between people, especially when they come into contact with plastic tray which is used for the animal to be released. But this is not the only way to get infected; This can also happen, for example, when you eat raw meat.
This parasite usually does not hurt, but scientists from the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, have conducted studies that have shown that there is a risk of developing a picture of schizophrenia. increases by 50% for the infected.
Schizophrenia is a brain disease that is a serious disease distortion in thoughts, perception and emotions. Patients can experience hallucinations, ie they hear or see something that others do not know. They can also manifest abnormal ideas – called misconceptions – that do not coincide with reality.
The analysis was conducted on more than 80,000 people in Denmark's Blood Donor Study where they found it more than 2500 cases people with unfavorable psychiatric conditions. Experts discovered parasites in a quarter of the population, of which 61% were infected by cytomegalovirus, which also causes cognitive deterioration.
The study found that those who were infected Toxoplasma gondii They are almost 50% more likely to get a diagnosis of schizophrenia than those who do not. This parasite can prevent the action of an amino acid in a body called tryptophan, which would cause large amounts of metabolites such as kinuric acid, a substance found in people with schizophrenia.
Parasite T. gondiiAs is known, it is more popular because of an infection called toxoplasmosis that causes symptoms of similar flu. Most of the time the disease is very low. However, in the case pregnant women it becomes more complicated because it can generate a serious risk to a child.
How to prevent an infection?
• If you have a cat, make sure it is healthy, visit a veterinarian and make proper deworming.
• Clean the box with cat litter every day using gloves and then wash your hands. Cache is infected only after 36 hours.
• If you do not have a cat while working in the garden, be aware that there may be traces of fecal matter from other cats, so use gloves.
• Do not eat raw, low-boiled meat or sausages.
• Clean pots and / or objects that are in contact with raw meat.
• Carefully wash the fruits and vegetables.
• The parasite is resistant to low temperatures, but not high. Cooking foods at high temperatures guarantees you death.
• Always wash your hands before eating.
• It is important to have control over the entire pregnancy so that an infection can be identified immediately.