In Pictures – Three buildings were demolished on Monday in the street in the city center. The anti-time race began to find potential survivors in the ruins. Mayor Jean-Claude Gaudin hopes "as little death as possible".
Several hours after the collapse of the two buildings in the center of Marseille, relief workers are still struggling to find people trapped in ruins. According to Julien Ruas, deputy mayor, the operation will continue all night and probably a few days. Interior Minister Christophe Castaner went on the spot in the evening. According to him, "eight people are likely to be in the buildings," he said, saying "not optimistic about the situation." Among these individuals would be a woman who did not go to school and another woman "who has never left the house," Paca region president Renaud Muselier said. Additionally, although it was not yet possible to know whether to live in one of the buildings collapsed, two men were filmed on the CCTV camera sidewalk just before their collapse.
The operations are continuing in search of potential victims
It came about 9 am, the accident affected numbers 63 and 65 in the rue d'Aubagne in the popular neighborhood of Noailles and slightly injured two passers-by. Two four and five storey buildings, heavily demolished, went to a great crowd of ruins and dense smoke caused by collapse. The third building was later raised later in the afternoon. Almost 100 firefighters have been mobilized to secure this district in Marseille's 1st district and are conducting investigations, with the support of two cynotechniques teams. "What matters is that we have as few deaths, but we think it will be," Mayor LR Marseille, Jean-Claude Gaudin, referred to a "very serious" misfortune. "We are in a very sensitive operation, there are lots of ruins on the public road, including cars that have been buried," added regional prefect Pierre Dartout.
READ ONLY – What to do if your building is subject to your order?
Anxiety shared by Julien Denormandie, who went there in the middle of the afternoon. "I can not say there are people trapped under the ruins," he said, adding that everything was done to "help, provide help and provide a solution." "There is a race against the clock," Emmanuel Macron said. for his part, expressed his "affection and solidarity of the whole nation to our countrymen, for this city, in these territories, in this region," in a speech held at Pont-a-Mousson in Meurthe-et-Moselle.
Since the middle of the day, "a list of residents and families known as the resident of this building" was set up as explained by the prefect of the police in Marseille, Olivier de Mazieres. Julien Ruas, deputy mayor, for his part, called people affected by the collapse "to go to the city council to resolve resettlement" and as soon as possible he announced a storm. Earlier in the day, he said that one of the two buildings was the subject of a "ten-day", "after the difficulty on the 1st floor." That's why they had to evacuate him. It was a municipal building, while for another building nine out of twelve residential units were inhabited, learned The Figaro, According to MarsActu, "the city of Marseille was supposed to install a ten-cage microscopic object" in a municipal building located at no. 63. "By contrast, building 65 was inhabited. A few minutes before the collapse, laundry was scrubbed in the windows on the first floor," he can read in place.
The third building collapsed
As a precautionary measure, authorities quickly evacuated "tens of people living in two adjacent buildings," AFP Philippe Bianchi, a police spokesperson, told. "Structurally, the buildings in Marseilles are held together so we do not want to risk and evacuate this island," said Julien Ruas. A very delicate operation: around 17H15, the third building building, already heavily weakened and threatening collapse on rescuers, collapsed "by itself" at 75%, the fire department said on Twitter. The building was abandoned and walled by summer 2012.
The Marseille Public Prosecutor, Xavier Tarabeux, seized the investigation of the accident police case to determine the exact cause of the tragedy. In a statement, Mayor Marseille explains that this "dramatic accident could be the result of heavy rain that has fallen" to the city of recent days. Jean-Luc Mélenchon, deputy Bouches-du-Rhône, who went to the construction site, said he wanted to avoid any controversy and congratulate the relief. However, the deputy condemned the politics of the mayor's gentrification and his negligence, while the deterioration of certain buildings was recorded. "These are the homes of the poor who fall, and this is no coincidence," she said, complaining of the "odd smell of casualty and indifference towards poverty". Senator PS Samia Ghali, she complained that "behind idyllic postcards once again measures the failure of housing policy and city center".
"It was a big boom"
"I live near the door, I watched television when I heard a loud noise, but no explosions, and then smoke clouds," AFP Antonio Dias said, 30 years. Another neighbor, Sofia Benameur, also said the noise "made" badaboum, badaboum "like stone, and suddenly there was a lot of smoke at home, I had to get rid of it." "The building collapsed for one block in a matter of seconds. I did not hear the sound of an explosion," AFP Djaffar Nour said, who was on the street a few dozen meters away from the collapsed buildings. "He was a big boom and he suddenly collapsed," said Ludovic, a 26-year-old student living in a roommate in front of a collapsed building. "There were a lot of people on the street at that time in the neighborhood."
"We later told us to leave the house for the risk of collapse," said a young man who had to wake up two of his cronies, including a girl who had only time wearing a jacket over pajamas. "Last week, firefighters came and blocked the street for two hours due to the risk of collapse, but nothing has happened," Ludovic added.