AN Irish mom said her son is a little lucky to be alive after he choked on peanuts last month.
Grace Healy said little David, two years old, became seriously ill during a July 4 family vacation in Kerry.
A Cork woman has revealed that he accidentally "inhaled a whole mouth full of" nuts after she asked him to give them to her in exchange for a chocolate bar.
She told the Irish Sun: “He took a big bag of peanuts and put them in his mouth.
"I said he would choke the way he eats them," because he ate so many of them and so quickly. His whole mouth was full of peanuts.
"I was already aware that he could cry and choke them, so I was like & # 39; mom would give you choc choc now if you gave your mother a bag. & # 39;
"He was just crying because I was taking my bag off of him and breathing in my whole mouth.
"He kind of coughed, and I told my husband to" choke, he's actually choking. "
Grace – who as a nurse was fully trained in first aid – immediately gave him five cards back trying to pull out a peanut.
The mother said she was able to release some of the nuts but blocked his airways even more.
& # 39; HIS LIMP IS IN MY HAND & # 39;
She continued: "At that moment he turned a bluish / gray color and I knew his oxygen level was falling. So my husband immediately rang 999.
"My husband left the room to ring 999, and I made five more backs, but nothing moved yet, and then another five and again there was nothing.
"I started doing chest compressions, and he kind of stuck in my hand at the time. I told him God, he's gone now, here he is."
She then tried word of mouth and David began to respond, but he was still very ill.
Grace added: "I blocked his nose and just issued two massive breaths and almost immediately his lips started to return to their usual color."
The boot was transported to Kerry General Hospital before an emergency ambulance was transported to Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital.
& # 39; A VERY HAPPY CHILD & # 39;
She said: "We did an X-ray and they told us it would be a very risky operation. The surgeon told me he was a very, very happy baby.
"It was such a difficult operation. He thought he had lost it many times during the procedure.
"He told me he would be on the ventilator for a few days for his lungs to recover because they found four whole peanuts in his left lung. I couldn't believe it.
"He stayed in the ICU in an induced coma for a few days, and then they said & # 39; look, we would try to remove him from ventilation and see if he could breathe on his own. & Quot;
"He breathed on his own and went out to the ward and within three hours a crisis alarm sounded.
"Medical teams showed up and he was repositioned in the ICU and on the ventilator."
Grace said her son went to surgery the next morning, and peanut remains were found in his right lung.
David spent seven more days in intensive care before slowly coming here.
He left the hospital on July 31 after a full recovery.
His relieved mom said, "He's slowly starting to come back to himself. He's doing great.
falling after him
Penney fans go wild on a dress like Zara's must-have – but at half the price
Kate bragged about the & # 39; fantastic & # 39; answers to Charlotte sticking her tongue out
Mom's weight loss tips after losing three months in a month – without giving up treats
Friends "stopped inviting" Meg and Harry to parties due to "PDA"
"He's lost a lot of muscle. Right now, we're building strength and working on swallowing, his speech and language. He's doing a lot of physiological, but really good.
"He's like a miracle. When I was leaving, one of the nurses told me, 'I can't believe he's leaving here, I didn't think it was possible.' "
Grace now urges parents to learn CPR, she said, "If you know CPR, at least you have a chance, but if you don't know CPR, you don't know. I believe everyone should know CPR."