Sunday , October 13 2019
Home / newzealand / Mom's birth memory ruined the NHS mistake that left her in a coma

Mom's birth memory ruined the NHS mistake that left her in a coma



The new mom had a "special time" to give birth to her daughter devastated by an NHS mistake that left her with sepsis.

Rebecca Jones of Talke was admitted to Royal Stoke University Hospital with symptoms of pain and flu just three days after giving birth to daughter Ruby in 2015.

She was diagnosed with a potentially fatal infection and organ failure two days later and was placed in an induced coma, reports StokeonTrentLive.

The investigation revealed that the employees "miscalculated" the true extent of the 28-year-old's symptoms when she was first evaluated at the Hartshill complex.

This meant that the mother-of-three was not examined by a senior doctor for seven hours and continued sepsis – when the mother-in-law needed to have her examined within 30 minutes.

She was admitted to the hospital a few days after giving birth to her daughter Ruby

She said: "It's incredibly difficult to look back at what happened after Rubin's birth and it's hard to bear the delay in my treatment.

"For more than four years, I keep trying to come to terms with it.

"That period was supposed to be a special time for me to get to know Ruby, so it's hard to believe that I spent most of my time in an intensive care coma.

"It was a complete nightmare. I just feel that I deserve answers to the question of whether more could be done to prevent everything that happened.

"I hope the NHS can learn lessons from my case so that no one has to go through what I have anymore."

Investigators found that Rebecca's early warning signs of potential illness showed a trait.

It meant that the doctors failed to initiate Rebecca's path to sepsis. – a plan designed to reduce the risk of patients developing the infection – by 11pm on March 10, 2015. He also requested her intravenous antibiotics by 11pm on March 10 – and did not receive them until 4.20am on March 11.

Rebecca was finally fired from Royal Stoke in mid-April 2015.

Now North Midlands University Hospital NHS Trust (UHNM) – which operates Royal Stoke – has admitted breaching its duty of care over Rebecca's treatment. The settlement is expected to be destroyed.

Hospital Trust acknowledges "breach of duty of care"

Sepsis leads to shock, multiple organ failure and, potentially, death. Signs include sloppy speech, confusion, extreme shivering, muscle aches, bad breath and staining or discolored skin.

Irwin Mitchell legal expert Jade Elliott-Archer, who works for Rebecca, said: "We are very concerned about what Rebecca went through at that moment, which should have been a very happy moment in her life.

"Rebecca's problems have had a significant impact on her in many ways, including grief affecting how she could relate to her new daughter.

Royal Stoke University Hospital (photo photo)

Read more

The latest Mirror Online news

"During our investigations, several issues in Rebecca's care were highlighted. It is important that the hospital trust now learn lessons from the Rebecca case to improve patient care. "

Royal Stoke established a dedicated sepsis team in 2016 to raise awareness and prevent disease. This has led to "a consistent rise in sepsis screening rates since early 2018," the trust states.

Here's what the hospital trust has to say:

A trust spokesman said: "We have made significant changes to our processes in the four years since Ms. Jones' experience and have made tremendous improvements in the awareness, screening and early treatment of patients with sepsis.

"Our screening and treatment audits show that we are consistently close to the 90 percent target for both screening and antibiotic treatment within one hour.

"We are proud of our confidence in our size and it shows that UHNM is committed to keeping patients safe from sepsis."


Source link