SOLA (E24): The oil industry rebounded to all bottlenecks after the fall in oil prices in 2014 brought the entire industry into a deep valley valley.
Although today's activity levels have grown rapidly, the industry expects further decline in investment levels.
– In the industry there is a conditional optimism, there is a great deal of activity and we can control the costs, according to IKM founder, Ståle Kyllingstad, about whether it is concerned that the oil industry is facing the tough times.
– Looking for more!
In the industrial area outside Kyllingstad's office in Salt, he says that this business has really picked up again for the company's supplier. They are expected to continue.
– It is obvious that Norway should look for more oil. On the day we drop oil, we have to start reducing production and stop looking so much, but today demand is up by 1.2 million barrels a year. The oil age is not solved in my or your time, and will continue to be an important, safe and secure workplace. But we will change.
The head of the IKM leans forward in his chair and says it is OK to give gas to the oil industry while at the same time focusing on new business routes.
"We will focus on getting all the activities and profits we get from the oil industry. Qualified workers and operators of the IKM never become nurses, while engineers and technicians can perform engineering / engineering jobs in other industries. But we never become health professionals.
Although Kyllingstad has a clear belief that the oil industry has a good future, the IKM is looking for new industries.
"In ten years I hope we are completely dominant in the maintenance of wind turbines in Norway, on the sea and on land. We came so far away after we held maintenance on our first wind power plant in Norway in 2014. And then I hope we are involved in everything that has to do with the floating wind at the sea and that we have entered a new topic that is not so much oil-oriented, he says, not wanting to reveal the plans he has spelled out.
– I believe in industries and areas where everyone should not write and be academic.
He does not believe in inflating money to compensate for a lower level of activity in the oil industry. He also has two exceptions: carbon capture and wind power at the sea.
This justifies the oil entrepreneur to possess the expertise we need from the oil industry, while Norway has moral responsibility through the billions we have earned from oil and gas.
– The same people who offer services to the oil industry could help fuel carbon dioxide with the same gas pipelines we use today. We have to bet here here. The demand for oil does not disappear, and then those who succeed in catching carbon on the key, he says.
"We are ready to contribute to the wind on the sea, but from now on it does not allow rain either. I do not know if it is financially sound, but in the long run I believe it is worth investing, he says.
For 10 years, IKM's manager expects to remain heavy in the oil industry, but expect half of the revenue coming out of Norway, compared with 15 percent today.
– It is located between 80 and 90 oil fields and is waiting in the existing infrastructure and will be developed over the next ten years. If you do not find anything in the next two years, this means that fewer events will happen in the next few years, but that does not mean that it will be less in the world.
This spring, the party in Storting discussed the future of the oil industry both in and among the parties. Insecurity, especially by the Labor Party, has a lot to do with them, Kyllingstad says.
"We must not start with pain in ourselves and become so fanatical that we stop thinking. Now the world has become such that the goal is safer than the means. Norway must have a long-term oil policy with a safe framework, he says.
And on the investors side there are changes in the oil industry. The DNB is among the banks that claim to be stricter when it comes to financing in the oil industry and that convertible companies are considered the best investments.
Kyllingstad says it's okay to get access to capital, but it's getting harder.
– We have not noticed so much. As long as you earn, you will not notice such needs. I think the general investor has become more skeptical about hydrocarbons due to climate risk.
Kyllingstad says that oil boilers meant that both industry and industry generally increased productivity significantly, making them better equipped for the future. Kyllingstad promises that platforms almost doubled their productivity and halved costs
– It's a scandal that can happen in 15 months. As far as maintenance is concerned, we have not been able to make such great changes in cost and productivity, but productivity has increased here and because you have better people.
Robotization has been highlighted as an area where development has reduced costs through fewer employees, hazardous jobs have been removed, and reduced disadvantages are reduced by the fact that more tasks can be solved from the land.
– Technology development is largely welcome after the fall in oil prices. If you lose 100 million Norwegian crowns per year, then you lose everything and then innovate. You have to give preference to paying people's pay, you do not have to think about development. In bad times, it is always a good idea to have a certain size of a company, because then there is always something that's fine.