Four men of Indian origin were charged in the Singapore court on Saturday by lighting the fireworks at Diwal. Fireworks lighting has been banned in the country since 1972.
Four men were involved in three separate incidents – illegal fireworks in Yishun, Bukit Batok West and Joo Seng Road on Tuesday, the day when Singapore celebrated Diwali or Deepavali.
Hariprasanth, 18, Elvis Xavier Fernandez, 25, Jeevan Arjoon, 28, and Alagappan Singaram, 54, are accused of discharging dangerous fireworks, The Straits Times reported on Saturday.
On Wednesday, two more Indian Indians from Singapore have been indicted for alleged involvement in illegal fireworks in Little India at Diwali Eve.
Thaigu Selvarajoo, 29, was charged with removing dangerous fireworks, while Siva Kumar Subramaniam, 48, allegedly aided.
Jeevan allegedly dropped a fireworks in the open field in front of Block 504B Yishun 51 on Tuesday, around 3.30 pm.
The police announced that they had been alert to the loud sounds of that area that morning and found cylinders containing explosive materials. Jeevan was arrested the following day.
Hariprasanth and Singaram are accused of releasing the "25 Shot Cake" box in the open area adjacent to Blok 194B Bukit Batok West Avenue 6 at about 7.40 am on Tuesday.
According to court documents, Fernandez said he fired a bunch of six "whistling sparks of fire" at Block 18 Joo Seng Road about three hours later. Police officers arrested him on Thursday.
Four men accused on Friday each had a bail of $ 5,000. Jeevan will return to court on November 23, and Fernandez will return five days later.
The Hariprasanth and Singaram cases were postponed until November 30th. Selvarajoo and Siva Kumar have been transferred to the Central Police Department and will return to court on November 14.
Judicial documents did not reveal how they got fireworks, according to The Straits Times.
In 1968, the government began to regulate the use of fireworks, when the practice of illuminating the celebratory fireworks became a serious public security problem. The total ban was expelled on August 1, 1972.
The police said, "Members of the public are reminded that the offense is possession, sale, transportation, dispatch, delivery, distribution or import of dangerous fireworks." "The police have no tolerance for acts that endanger the lives or security of others as well as cause an inadequate public alert and will not hesitate to take measures against those who impartially ignore the law," they said.
The defendants convicted of the release of a dangerous fireworks can be imprisoned for up to two years and fined between 2,000 SGD and 10,000 SGD.
First published: November 10, 2018 13:57 IST