Much more people may die from cow disease, experts warned.
Incubation periods of more than 50 years in patients with a certain type of gene mean scientists expect another wave of lethal disease to hit Britain.
Experts warn of further tragedies in the new documentary of the BBC.
58-year-old Tommy Goodwin, whose son Grant, 30, died of the disease in 2009, said: "There is another wave just beyond the reach of this disease and people who incubate this, even have no idea incubating.
– I could incubate it. Grant's mother Margaret could incubate her.
You could incubate it. We do not know. You will never know until something happens. "
Taxi driver Tommy from Hamilton added, "That frightens me very much."
Richard Knight, a neurology professor at the CJD Control Unit in Edinburgh, said: "There is still so much uncertainty about this disease and one of the things that is uncertain as to how people are quietly infected.
"We're just not sure, but any predictions we have suggest will be further cases."
Until 2009, all 176 human disease cases, the variant of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, had the same MM genetic makeup.
But 2009 – 14 years after the first human death – Grant became the first person in the world with the MV type who died of vCJD.
The 36-year-old British with MV blend became the second in 2014.
Research has shown that it takes more than 50 years for the disease to develop in people with MV blend, so scientists fear that we might be on the verge of the second wave of death.
Bovine spongiform encephalopathy – known as the cow disease – was first discovered in Britain in the late 1980s.
Millions of cattle were used, with almost 1,000 new cases reported each week, while the epidemic reached its peak in 1993.
The study concluded that BSE was caused by cattle feeding to the remains of other cattle.
The ban on the use of high-risk slaughterhouse products for human consumption was introduced in 1989.
But next year, then Agriculture Minister John Gummer claimed that beef was "completely safe".
Within five years, the vCJD claimed its first victim – Stephen Churchilla, 19, from Wiltshire, who died after eating infected meat.