If you use Gmail.com as your primary web mail client, you've probably noticed that Gmail has a new visual interface and look that is wider, more spacious, a bigger sidebar and a bolder look all around, with a series of new cursor hover detection features as well. Many Gmail users love change and others may not notice the difference, while others may think that the new visual interface of Gmail is not what they're hoping for and would prefer something a bit simpler or a more fast of Gmail. Therefore, some Gmail users may want to re-insert Gmail in the old classic version, or at least something that seems closer to previous versions of Gmail.
We'll show you a few different ways to change the look and the interface of Gmail, including switching to classic Gmail (although this may not be possible for everyone), some tips to adjust the visual appearance of the new Gmail so that it appears a bit & # 39; more like the previous version of Gmail, and even a method to use a much simpler version of Gmail that has a very simplified look without some of the new features, but in turn is very fast to load and interact. Explore each of the options below to see how you can change Gmail.
How to change Gmail to return to the classic previous version of Gmail
Here's how you can change Gmail in the previous version, although this option is not available to all Gmail users now, as the new interface is implemented universally and soon it will be impossible to withdraw it. However you can check if this option is available to you:
- Open Gmail.com in your web browser and sign in if you have not already done so
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner of Gmail
- Choose "Return to Classic Gmail" *
* The ability to use "Back to the classic Gmail" seems to be increasingly limited and seems to be phasing out.
If you do not have the "Return to classic version of Gmail" option, use the options below to adjust the appearance of Gmail, or much further down you can see the option to switch to Simple HTML Gmail .
How to make the new Gmail more like the old classic version of Gmail
You can make some visual changes to the new Gmail to make it look a little bit like the classic older Gmail, here's how:
- Open Gmail.com in your browser as usual
- Click on the gear icon, then select "Display Density" and select "Compact" or "Comfortable" whichever you prefer, then click OK: this allows you to view multiple e-mails on a single screen
- Now click again on the gear icon, this time choosing "Settings"
- In "General", the settings look for "Actions on mouseover:" and choose "Disable mouse-over actions", then scroll down and Save changes: turn off mouse-over and move actions mouse that opens as the cursor moves to Gmail
- Now go back to the Gear icon and this time choose "Themes" and scroll down to try out different themes, the two that most resemble the old gmail are "Soft Gray" and "High Contrast"
These changes will change the look and behavior of Gmail to work closer to the previous version of Gmail. Increasing the visual density and disabling Hover Actions can be sufficient for many users who initially did not like the new Gmail, since changing these options allows you to see multiple emails immediately in a Gmail window, while preventing any option of Hover from either obscuring the details of the email or being accidentally clicked.
How to restore the new version of Gmail in Basic HTML Old Gmail
If you do not really like the new Gmail interface and the visual revisions and behaviors, you can go back to what is basically a very old version of Gmail in appearance and functionality using Simple HTML Gmail, which eliminates all the most imaginative features and any visual style, which makes it look a little like Gmail did a decade ago. You'll also see more emails per page since the Basic Old Gmail view is more concise and has a much smaller and less bold sidebar and padding.
- After logging in to Gmail, open this link to upload basic Gmail HTML: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/
- Now at the top of the screen, choose "Set basic HTML as default view" to always load basic HTML in your browser
The use of basic Gmail HTML will not be an option for all users if they want to continue using some of Gmail's fun features like Hover, chat, keyboard shortcuts and advanced formatting, but if you use mainly Gmail as a simple email client and does not need bells and whistles will work great. It also loads a lightning fast and has a very simple interface that is not intrusive even though Simple HTML Gmail may seem a little dated for users who have become accustomed to the new aspect of Material Design of the new Gmail.
Personally I like Basic HTML Gmail, maybe it's the kind of retro look, but that combined with the raw speed of the simple version works well for me. Which of the above options you will prefer, whether it is simply adjusting the new Gmail interface to show more screen emails or changing themes, or trying to return to classic Gmail, or using basic Gmail HTML, will be entirely a matter of personal preference and how you use Gmail. Your individual choices will probably depend on the dimension screen you use among other variables.
Another useful trick is to set up the default Google account if you use multiple Gmail accounts, as many of us do for work and personal. Another very useful Gmail trick for some users is to disable the sorting of Gmail inboxes and the "Promotions" "Social" and "Primary" "Updates" labels that will insert all the emails in the same view Universal Inbox.
Do you know other methods or approaches to change the appearance of Gmail in the previous version? Do you know any other useful tweaks or settings for Gmail to get back to the previous version of Gmail or to return to Classic Gmail? Share with us in the comments below! And you may also be interested in checking other suggestions on Gmail.