- Rian Johnson told Business Insider what it was like to see baby Yoda face to face when he was attending the set of "The Mandalorian."
- But the director of "The Last Jedi" remains a mom if the "Star Wars" movie comes out of a new planned trilogy in 2022, saying "I have no updates."
Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
Long before we all took a look at the cute baby Yoda in the Disney Plus series, "Mandalorian," "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson had already confronted her.
One of the actors when you made the movie "Star Wars" is that you have a huge amount of access. And for Johnson, that meant attending the set of "The Mandalorian," as the first season worked.
In addition to chatting with show creator / executive producer Jon Favreau and fellow executive producer Dave Filoni, he also had to check out the doll that became his star.
"I saw the baby Yoda on the set," he told Business Insider as he promoted his new movie "Knives Out" (in theaters Nov. 27), adding that he was waiting for the play to appear to finally give up that humble brag.
"It's so beautiful," he said of the creature.
Johnson acknowledged that since he promoted "Knife Authors," he has not yet gotten a chance to watch any of the shows. But he added that by staging a "Mandalorian" scene, his creativity began what she could do next in the Star Wars saga.
"It's like being a kid and taking out toys. That's right, but on the CV," Johnson said. "It was impossible not to think about things. It's inspiring. It's creatively stimulating to be in the middle."
But how exactly Johnson is involved in Star Wars is very unclear.
After "The Last Jedi," it was announced that they would be embarking on the creation of a brand new trilogy for the franchise, but since then there has been a major altercation with the franchise.
Disney CEO Bob Iger told the BBC that according to the movies, there is "less is more," as we have done before, "too many Star Wars films have been made and released in a short span of time." This came across as a disappointing reaction to the 2018 Solo: A Star Wars Story. Then in late October, the creators of "Game of Thrones" David Benioff and D.B. Weiss has left the planned trilogy for Star Wars. ("Star Wars: The Rise of the Skywalker" opens Dec. 20 and concludes the Skywalker saga.)
Johnson seems to be still standing but saying nothing. Asked if the Star Wars movie that Disney predicted for 2022 was one of his own, he responded to Business Insider: "You will have to wait for everything to release. I have no updates."
On Wednesday, a story by The Hollywood Reporter quoted a "source" that the film, scheduled for 2022, was not one of Johnson's projects.
The THR story also reported that the next step, along with Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy, overseeing things, will also tell "Mandaloria" executive producers Favreau and Filoni about the future of the franchise.
Johnson said it was a big departure on his trip to the set of "Mandalorian," outside Baby Yoda, as much as Filoni is locked in the Star Wars mythology.
"Filoni got the soul of the Star Wars," Johnson said. "He got the heart."